Monday, September 21, 2009

Predictions

I'm going to go ahead and say that I really don't know what to expect, but from gleaning various Antarctic blogs, websites, books and a few Ice People I know (including my aunt), I hear that McMurdo is just like a small college campus. There's the dorms, the cafeteria, the rec center, the weight room, the coffee house, the bar (if you're a wet campus like C of I), the parties, the gossip, and the copious amounts of licentious sexcapades and binge drinking. Just like college, should be a nice transition for me since I'm a recent college grad and am used to the lifestyle (albeit trying to show restraint with the last three).

I predict Antarctica will be stark and beautiful; the landscape harsh and unapologetic, completely comfortable being the most environmentally hospitable place on earth yet drawing humans to explore its wonders. I predict that it will be unbearably cold, then eternal daylight, then unbearably cold again. I predict that I will work hard, break my back, heal my back, tell myself that labor is character-building and that I'm in the pursuit of science, and bond with my crew. I don't predict that I will "have a great experience and make lifelong friends" because I'd never consciously write something that cliche. There will be stories galore, I hope-- not necessarily all good or all funny, because that's not what life is. I am a memory collector, an experience hoarder, and a skill-seeker. I want those things, and I hope I can draw them out of this cold harsh land.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!