Monday, November 9, 2009

Dry Valleys wrap-up

to view the full Lake Bonney photo album, click here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30396637



Lake Bonney was a blast.  My boss, Barb, informed me that Dry Valleys gigs were really special for GA's, since usually the BFC girls get to go there, not our department.  I do feel very fortunate to get to go on this gig, as I got to spend a week with some great people in a beautiful place, learning lots of new stuff.  For example, I can now drill holes in really deep ice and melt them to a preffered diameter using special equipment.  I can safely drive a 4-wheeler on said ice and remain in control (huzzah!) and carry passengers and cargo.  I can pack and wrap a helicopter slingload using cargo straps and cargo nets.  I can, indeed, sleep in a tent and not shower for a week with little loss of face, seeing as everyone else smells as bad as I do.

To those of you at Lake Bonney, thanks for the great week and letting me be involved in your scientific research, if only in a small, labor-mule type way.  Good luck with the rest of the season!


2 comments:

  1. I love how you can do all these sweet things! I enjoy myself when I don't shower for a week, I think you're pretty cool, Lael...oh and I don't know if this qualifies, or is even close to the same thing, but I totally am going to go ice fishing this winter up near Moscow, I'm so excited!
    -Genny

    ReplyDelete
  2. the ice fishing thing is in reference to you drilling holes in ice...in case you didn't catch that!
    -G

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!