Friday, November 6, 2009

My life in Mariokart

Nash, Geoff, and BK: this is for you.


For the last few days, my mind has kept going back to Friday nights in college, where all my runner friends had practice the next day and couldn't drink, so we played video games like Donkey Kong and MarioKart.  I have nothing specific to say about Antarctica with respect to DK, but holy shit, I feel like I am in a MarioKart game.  Right now I'm at a field camp next to a frozen lake, the middle of which is very bumpy and hard to walk/ATV across.  However, the edges of the lake melt seasonally and stay completely smooth.  We use ATVs to get around on the lake, and though we have chains on the tires, we fishtail around every corner of the jagged shoreline and spin cookies when we park.  It feels exactly  like a MarioKart racetrack, and you guys would love it.

Our work site is about 2 or 3 miles from camp, and we take the ATV's from camp along the edge of the lake to the site in the middle of the far side of the lake.  I have to go back and forth several times a day, and each time it's like doing my own little virtual reality of those Friday nights at C of I.  When I get back, I'll be able to kick ass at MarioKart!





to view the full Lake Bonney photo album, click here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30396637

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us some love!